West without Borders
During the past ten years, West has focused its philanthropic efforts on charities that aid cancer research and care, STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education, and children with special needs in the communities where our employees live and work. During this time, West has raised more than $2.5 million for a variety of charities located around the globe through West without Borders and other campaigns.
“It is heart-warming to see the impact our efforts have on the charities selected for West without Borders. We are all fortunate to be employed by a company that cares deeply for its employees and the community. When everyone works together, the result makes a big impact to the charities.”
Laura Pitt, Project Leader – CRM, Chair of the West without Borders Committee
A History of Giving
West without Borders kicked off in late 2004 with fundraising programs to aid those affected by the Asian tsunami and then hurricane Katrina in the fall of 2005. Targeted, company-wide projects have included:
- Local Charities – 2010-2015: The most recent West campaigns focused on charities that aid children with special needs in the communities where our employees live and work. The campaigns have collectively raised more than $1.1 million.
- Africa Health Placements: In 2009, West employees raised more than $140,000 for this not-for-profit organization that recruits doctors from around the world to provide critical care to patients in rural Africa.
- Braille without Borders: In 2008, West employees raised more than $200,000 to support this international program to educate blind children in developing areas such as Tibet and India.
- Camp Victory Treehouse: In 2007, West employees donated $240,000 along with hundreds of hours in manpower to build a wheelchair-accessible treehouse for children with chronic illnesses at Camp Victory in Millville, Pa.
- Hope Lodge: In 2006, West employees raised more than $192,000 to help build the AstraZeneca Hope Lodge of the American Cancer Society in Philadelphia, a 30,000 square-foot facility that provides free temporary housing to approximately 1,300 cancer patients annually.
In Brazil, West employees have supported Lar São Jose, whose mission is to provide housing for children who are victims of neglect and abuse, since 2004. Our Jersey Shore, Pa., team has worked closely with Camp Victory for many years. Team members have donated hundreds if not thousands of volunteer hours to the many deserving charities selected each year, forming extremely strong bonds with those charities and working hard to support them all year long.
Visit the WestPharma blog
and follow West on Twitter
for more information about our “ for more information about our “Our culture of Giving” and the many connections West team members have forged with local charities throughout the West without Borders campaigns.
West without Borders is part of the H.O. West Foundation. For more information about the Foundation, click here.
West without Borders is not affiliated with Doctors Without Borders®, which is a registered service mark of Bureau International de Medecins San Frontieres.