Academic Medical Center
• Vial2Bag® Device Study: single center, retrospective analysis performed from June 2017 - July 2018
• Annual Pharmacy Sterile Compounding: 150,000 patient-specific; 300,000 anticipatory
Annual cost avoidance realized from 250,000+ doses dispensed following Vial2Bag® device implementation
- Reduce pharmacy labor, equipment and material cost versus Locally Compounded Sterile Product (LCSP)
- Reduce risk of contamination and extend stability compared to LCSP
- Reduce expensive ready-to-use products
- Reduce anticipatory compounding waste2
- Allow for unused drugs to be returned to inventory2
Annual units of LCSP moved from pharmacy to point-of-care through ADS Vial2Bag® device dispensing
- Reduce time to first dose through preparation at point-of-care
- Utilize an Automated Dispensing System (ADS) to reduce medication errors related to preparation and administration of patient specific doses
- Increase medications stocked in ADS
- Flexible solution for managing drug shortages
- Universal compatibility with all manufacturers’ 50, 100, and 250mL IV bags and 20mm vials
Optimizing drug product utilization can improve workflow & minimize cost
experience supply disruptions from their hospital’s manufacturer or outsourced facilities3
experienced a patient safety event due to this supply disruption3
agreed that outsourcing IV admixtures was cost-effective3
1 - Tran LK, Anger KE, Dell’Orfano H, Rocchio MA, Szumita PM. Evaluation of Cost, Workflow, and Safety of Implementing a Vial Transfer Device for Ready-to-Mix Drugs at an Academic Medical Center. J Pharm Pract. 2020 Jul 8:897190020938195. doi: 10.1177/0897190020938195. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32638650.
2 - not included in cost avoidance calculation
3 - Gabay M, Hertig JB, Degnan D, Burger M, Yaniv A, Mclaughlin M, Lynn Moody M. Third Consensus Development Conference on the Safety of Intravenous Drug Delivery Systems-2018. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2020 Jan 24;77(3):215-220. doi: 10.1093/ajhp/zxz277. PMID: 31811297.
This study was conducted using a device that is no longer on the market. West now offers the Vial2Bag Advanced™ 20mm Admixture Device as its transfer device.
West and the diamond logo is a registered trademark of West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc., in the United States and other jurisdictions. Vial2Bag® and Vial2Bag Advanced™ are trademarks and registered trademarks of West Pharma. Services IL, Ltd., a subsidiary of West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.