West Publishes 2021 Corporate Responsibility Report
West is proud to announce that we have published our 2021 Corporate Responsibility (CR) Report, Purpose. Driven., which is now available on West’s website.
This is West’s 6th annual CR Report, and highlights ESG successes from over the past year, including progress on environmental sustainability goals, diversity and inclusion, and success around the Company’s philanthropic efforts. The publication also highlights some of the recognition received for our ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) performance, including placement in Barron’s Top 100 Most Sustainable Companies, Corporate Social Responsibility Programme of the Year from Pharma Industry Awards in Ireland, and a Silver Stevie Award for Corporate Social Responsibility.
Having West’s ESG strategy aligned with our Core Values of Passion for Customers, Leadership in Quality and One West team is key to the ongoing success of our strategy, and integral to supporting our mission of improving patient lives. Delivering on this mission using sustainable business practices is critical and has been a long-standing imperative at West. We embrace this responsibility and strive to be good stewards in all our business decisions—from the raw materials we use, to our production and manufacturing techniques, to how we package and distribute our products.
Our ESG goals currently remain organized under the previously established pillars: Compliance and Ethics; Diversity and Talent; Health and Safety; Philanthropy; Environmental Sustainability; and Quality. In addition, we have selected six priorities of focus that directly link to our Company mission, vision and values. The priorities are: Responsible Supply Chain; Talent Attraction; Retention and Engagement; Waste in Operational Processes; R&D for the Environment and Climate Strategy.
Some of the key 2021 highlights from our CR Report include:
- ESG Governance changes, including the establishment of an ESG Steering Committee, new areas of priority focus for the future and additional oversight by West’s Board of Directors.
- Global waste to landfill for all West manufacturing sites continued to improve, with 85% of global waste diverted from landfill, up from 77% the prior year.
- Both water and energy intensity ratios improved over prior year, meaning less energy and water is being used for each product produced.
- 64% of West’s Executive Team is made up of women and/or U.S. minorities.
- 7 of West’s manufacturing sites had zero recordable safety incidents in 2021.
- Total employee giving increased by 72% from 2020.
- Team member donations to West’s Annual Global Food Drive increased by 56% over prior year.
Caring for our environment is inherent in all we do, ensuring that we use resources in a sustainable manner and believing that we have an obligation to contribute to a healthier world. Please click here to read more about this commitment in our 2021 Corporate Responsibility Report.